Color masterbatch is a special colorant for new polymer materials. Different types of color masterbatch have different uses. However, color masterbatch is basically used for coloring products such as plastics, pipes, packaging, electrical enclosures, films, moisturizing materials, clothing fibers, and improving unique properties.
Color masterbatch mainly consists of the following parts:
- Resin carrier
- Heat stabilizer
- Processing modifier
Several commonly used color masterbatch formulations:
PVC color masterbatch:PVC(P-700):100
Composite stabilizer:4 ~ 5
ACR processing aids:3 ~ 4
Lubricant: 0.5 ~ 1
Pigment: appropriate amount (such as black material, plus 30% carbon black)
Related properties: uniform appearance and luster. The coloring strength is 93% ~ 105%, and the migration resistance is greater than grade 4.
Polyolefin coloring and flame retardant masterbatch
Colorant:5 ~ 30
Decabromobiphenyl butyl ether:30 ~ 40
Antimony trioxide:10 ~ 15
Carrier resin:30 ~ 40
Dispersant (polyethylene wax):10 ~ 15
Surfactant:1 ~ 2
PP extra black masterbatch
PE wax:25% ~ 30%
- Except TAS-2A, other components were mixed for 20min;
- When the feed temperature reaches 95 ~ 100 ℃, add TAS-2A.
Related performance: the addition amount is 100:3.
ABS Color Masterbatch
Dispersant (TAS-2A):4% ~ 8%
Titanium dioxide:40% ~ 60%
ABS and titanium dioxide were mixed at high speed in a high-speed kneader for 20min.
When the feed temperature reaches 90 ℃, TAS-2A is added.
Relevant properties: when the content of titanium dioxide is 60%, and the content of TAS-2A is 8%, MI: 13.5g/10min, and the dosage is 25%.
The production process of color masterbatch can be divided into 7 steps:
- Weighing: additives such as toner, carrier, lubricant and dispersant shall be weighed according to the weight required by the process. The higher the accuracy, the better.
- Mixing: put the weighed additives into the high-speed mixer in order according to the process flow.
- Extruder: according to the carrier temperature of the color masterbatch, it can be started after holding for a certain time, from slow to fast.
- Strip: the material is extruded from the die of the extruder into a strip shape. The worker holds the material strip and moves to the pelletizer at a uniform speed, and passes through the drying machine halfway.
- Cutting: when the material strip reaches the feeding port of the pelletizer, slowly increase the speed of the pelletizer.
- Packaging: packaging according to customer needs.
- Subsequent adjustment: after the whole set of equipment is in normal operation for one week, adjust the speed to the normal production speed in turn.
In addition, a series of tests shall be carried out while grinding the pigment, such as measuring the fineness of the sanding slurry, measuring the diffusion property of the sanding slurry, measuring the solid content of the sanding slurry and measuring the fineness of the color slurry.
Color Masterbatch Extruder
Color masterbatch is a necessary colorant in plastic products. The principle of color masterbatch extrusion granulation line is to make the application of color masterbatch in plastic products changeable through the complex structure inside plastic, and make the gravitational interaction between molecules to become strong and tough plastic.
Cowin can optimize the reasonable configuration according to the customer’s processing material system and process formula requirements, such as L/D, machine structure, screw arrangement, screen changer structure, exhaust quantity and position, feeding mode, etc.
- Screw: block structure, W6Mo5Cr4V2 material
- Barrel: block structure, W6Mo5Cr4V2 material
- L/D: it is divided into organic pigment and inorganic pigment. The L/D of organic pigment is usually 44:1, and the L/D of inorganic pigment is usually 48:1. Or customized L/D according to customer requirements.
Classification by use: such as injection masterbatch, blow molding masterbatch, spinning masterbatch, etc.
Types Of Color Masterbatch
1. Advanced injection color masterbatch: used for cosmetic packaging boxes, toys, electrical appliances and other high-grade products.
2. Common injection color masterbatch: used for general daily plastic products, industrial containers, etc.
3. Advanced blown film color masterbatch: used for blowing and coloring of ultra-thin products.
4. Common blown film color masterbatch: used for blowing and coloring of general packaging bags and woven bags.
5. Spinning color masterbatch: used for spinning and coloring of textile fibers. The masterbatch pigment has fine particles, high concentration, strong coloring power, and good heat and light resistance.
6. Low grade color masterbatch: used to manufacture low-grade products with low requirements for color quality, such as garbage cans and low-grade containers.
7. Special color masterbatch: it is a color masterbatch manufactured by selecting the same plastic as the carrier according to the plastic variety specified by the user for products. For example, PP color masterbatch and ABS Color Masterbatch respectively use PP and ABS as carriers.
8. General color masterbatch: a certain resin (usually PE with low melting point) is also used as the carrier, but it can be applied to the coloring of other resins other than its carrier resin. General color masterbatch is relatively simple and convenient, but it has many disadvantages. It is recommended that users choose special color masterbatch. The heat-resistant grade of the special color masterbatch is generally compatible with the plastic used for products, and it can be safely used under normal temperature. Only in the following cases, it will cause different degrees of discoloration: one is that the temperature exceeds the normal range, and the other is that the shutdown time is too long.
The advantages of color masterbatch are:
- The product cost is low, especially for the products with small batch and frequent color change.
- Color matching technology and simple operation, this technology is especially suitable for factories with weak equipment and technical strength.
- The operating environment is good. Since the color masterbatch is in granular form and there is no pigment dust, there is no dust flying in the operation, which reduces pollution and is conducive to civilized production.
Disadvantages of Color Masterbatch:
- The color masterbatch is less versatile in the coloring process.
- Uneven dispersion is easy to occur.
- The production of color masterbatch requires a certain amount to be customized.
- The color dispersion is slightly poor, the stability is low, and the color deviation is easy to occur, even the internal and external surfaces.
- If the carrier and raw materials of the color masterbatch are different, the product may have peeling.